The Wayne County Board of Education recognizes the value of the Middles School Philosophy for students in grades 6-8. The Middle School concept asserts that adolescents are unique with different developmental needs from elementary to high school.
The Board believes the Middle School schedule best meets the needs of students in grades 6-8.
The purpose for adopting the Middle School Philosophy and strongly encouraging the use of Middle School scheduling is to increase academic performance and reduce student discipline for students in grades 6-8.
Adolescence is a time characterized by changes - physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially. The middle school environment should meet these developmental needs to foster continued growth. Educators must be willing to change when necessary to provide the students with the guidance and support they need.
Each principal with grades 6-8 shall implement a Middle School Philosophy to include these eight components:
- A Comprehensive Curriculum Plan
- A Home-Base Advisory Plan
- Continuous Progress Assessments
- Team Planning/Teaching
- A Variety of Instructional Plans
- Exploratory Class/Activities
- Adequate Health/Physical Education Programs
- Planning and Evaluating Systems
- Classroom-based guidance efforts (AA)
- Interdisciplinary team organization
- A curriculum emphasizingbalanced exploration and solid academics
- A wide range of special interest experiences
- Collaboration between and among administrators