TOP 10 REASONS
TO LIVE & TEACH IN WAYNE COUNTY
1. Annual Bonus Supplement! In addition to your salary, Wayne County Public Schools pays a local supplement of 6.5% of your gross annual salary. You will receive half of your supplement in the fall and half in the spring.
2. Comprehensive Benefits Package: Our teachers are state employees and enjoy financial benefits backed by the state of North Carolina. Permanent full-time teachers can rest easy knowing their future is protected by a comprehensive health, insurance, and retirement plan. Employees are also eligible to join the State Employee’s Credit Union for personalized banking, online tax services, and free credit reports. Employees can also prepare for their retirement years through state-sponsored 401K plans. Wayne County also offers "cafeteria plans" that allow employees to lower their income tax bill while investing in their future.
3. Competitive Teacher Salaries: Wayne County Public Schools' teachers and other licensed staff (e.g. media specialists, psychologists, audiologists, speech-language pathologists, counselors and social workers) are paid on state-adopted salary schedules. Salaries are based on licensure, years of experience, and degree held. Check out Current Salaries to find out how much you will make as a teacher or certified employee.
4. Lower Cost of Living: Teachers moving to Wayne County will not only enjoy a warm climate and hometown hospitality, but they’ll also enjoy a lower cost of living. Compare Goldsboro/Wayne County to communities closest to you, with these Cost of Living Calculators!!!
5. Local Benefits! Wayne County Public Schools works with the Wayne Education Network to support teachers financially through partnerships with local businesses. Through the "Golden Rule Program," our teachers can receive discounts on new cars, automotive repairs, apartments, housing loans, dining out, and much more! For teachers looking to buy a home, the city of Goldsboro also has various housing programs that may benefit both new and veteran teachers. Click on local benefits to find out more!
6. Mentor Program for Beginning Teachers: If you are new to teaching, our “Beginning Teacher Program” will help you navigate the educational rapids of classroom life. The program provides a Teaching and Learning Coach to advise and assist. Wayne County Public Schools wants all of our teachers to succeed. Our school system works diligently to ensure that you have the necessary resources to succeed in the classroom.
7. Continuing Education Opportunities: Wayne County Public Schools offers many opportunities for certified and classified staff to earn continuing education units (CEUs). We provide staff development and professional development at the school and county level. The certified staff can earn general, academic, and content area credit.
8. High Percentage of National Board Certified Teachers: Wayne County Public Schools has a high percentage of National Board Certified Teachers at the head of the class. Teachers who become National Board Certified not only receive a 12% increase in salary, but they carry with them a unique distinction.
9. Travel Abroad programs! Since 1999, students and staff have learned about foreign culture and history through the World View travel abroad program. Our students and staff have traveled to South Africa, Guatemala, Mexico, Greece, France, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Great Britain, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, the Netherlands, and China.
10. Classroom Mini-Grants! Wayne County Public Schools works with educational and business partners to offer teacher mini-grants to implement innovative ideas into the classroom. Each year, the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce and Tri-County Electric Membership Corporation each awards thousands of dollars in mini-grants to local educators.