With the first day of classes already underway for three schools on the Non-Traditional Academic Calendar, and quickly approaching for 29 schools on the Traditional Academic Calendar, Wayne County Public Schools is gearing up for Open House events to help students take the first steps towards a successful school year.
The first day of school for schools operating on the traditional academic calendar is Monday, August 26. Below is important Open House information for families and students:
Elementary Open House Events: The district Open House schedule for elementary schools is Tuesday, August 20 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. The following schools have a modified schedule or additional activities planned:
- In conjunction with their School Improvement Grant, Carver Heights Elementary will hold its Open House from 4:00-7:00 p.m. and will have food trucks on site to provide dinner for families.
- The Community Developmental School Program at Meadow Lane Elementary will not hold a formal Open House event on August 20, rather teachers will contact families to schedule an appointment between now and the start of school in order for parents to see their child’s classroom, update their child’s IEP, and to ask questions specific to their child’s education and needs.
- Northwest Elementary will hold a separate Kindergarten Orientation event on August 29 from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
Middle/High Open House Events: The district Open House schedule for middle and high schools is Wednesday, August 21 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. The following schools have a modified schedule or additional activities planned:
- Brogden Middle, Dillard Middle and Mount Olive Middle will kick off their Open House events with a parent meeting at 5:00 p.m. with classroom visitations to follow.
- Charles B. Aycock High will hold its Open House from 6:00-8:00 p.m. to help accommodate families who have another child enrolled at Norwayne Middle.
- Eastern Wayne High wil hold a 9th Grade Orientation from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. on August 21. A parent information session will be held at 10:15 a.m. in the main gym.
- Eastern Wayne Middle and Rosewood Middle will hold a special 6th Grade Open House on August 21 from 4:00-6:00 p.m., and will hold its regular Open House for 7th and 8th grade students from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
- Teachers at Edgewood Community Developmental School will contact parents to schedule an appointment to meet on August 21 between 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Rosewood High will hold a 9th grade Orientation Day from 12:00-5:00 p.m. on August 21 (Lunch will be provided.)
“We highly encourage families take part in Open House events to get an effective jump start to the 2019-2020 school year,” states, Dr. Michael Dunsmore, WCPS Superintendent. “Open House is a great opportunity for families to meet teachers, learn about classroom curriculums and expectations, familiarize themselves with school campuses, and pick up supplies lists and daily schedules.”