Suggestions for Helping with Homework
- Reward time spent on and progress towards completing homework.
- Help your child develop a homework schedule that works for both of you.
- Provide a suitable place for study - if possible, make it quiet and away from distractions.
- Avoid making homework a punishment.
- Talk to your child everyday about homework assignments. Go over the work. See if it is complete. Ask questions about it and take an active part in helping your child, but don't do the homework yourself.
- Find out how much and what type of homework is being assigned.
- Have high expectations for your child's learning and behavior.
- Be a role model in getting work done before play.
- Establish routines.
- Read to younger children and have them read to you every night.
- Contact your child's teacher to learn specific strategies to help with homework.