ENROLLING YOUR CHILD:
Before your child can enroll at a WCPS school, they must meet the requirements listed below. Feel free to print enrollment packets from the links listed, or you can also pick up an enrollment packet at your child's new school.
Some forms, documents, or links may require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader .
Programs and services may vary by school. For information about specific programs and services, please contact the school directly or contact the appropriate WCPS department. High school registration catalogs
are available under "Quick Links" on the WCPS website.
Children entering kindergarten must be 5 years old on or before August 31st. The age requirement is state law.
North Carolina state law requires that the child be enrolled by a legal parent or legal guardian only. Family members, relatives, or friends may not serve as the enrollment agent.
PROOF OF RESIDENCE:
The enrollment process requires proof of residence. Please bring two of the following items with you to enroll your child:
- Property tax records which indicate the street or road address location of the residence (Dated within 1 year of enrollment)
- Copies of the mortgage documents or copies of deed to property which indicate the street or road address of the property
- Copy of the residential lease showing street or road address (Dated within 1 year of enrollment)
- Copy of utility bill (electric, gas or water) showing residence address (Dated within 60 days of enrollment). No copies or disconnected notices will be accepted.
Provide one original proof from below:
- Copy of current driver's license showing street or road address
- or copy of voter registration form showing street or road address
- or copy of automobile registration showing street or road address
Military families living on base may present a letter from base housing as proof of residence.
Important: WCPS assigns students to schools based on attendance zone in which they reside. Parents must enroll their kindergarten child in the school district in which they live.
Board of Education Policy 4130 does provide guidance to parents seeking to transfer their child to a school outside of their attendance zone. (All policies related to enrollment can be accessed at the following link Board of Education Policies