Enrollment Services

Quick Guide to Student Enrollment

Announcement: Click on 2021 Student Reassignment to see official guidelines for student transfers. 
Before your child can enroll at a WCPS school, they must meet the requirements listed below. Feel free to print forms from the links below, or you can also pick up an enrollment packet at your child's new school.

       Some forms, documents, or links may require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader .

       Programs and services may vary by school. For information about specific programs and services, please contact the school directly or contact the appropriate WCPS department.

       High school registration catalogs are available under "Quick Links" on the WCPS website.

Children entering kindergarten must be 5 years old on or before August 31st. The age requirement is state law. More information

North Carolina state law requires that the child be enrolled by a legal parent or legal guardian only. Family members, relatives, or friends may not serve as the enrollment agent.

The enrollment process requires proof of residence.  Please bring two of the following items with you to enroll your child:
  - Property tax records which indicate the street or road address location of the residence (Dated within 1 year of enrollment)
  - Copies of the mortgage documents or copies of deed to property which indicate the street or road address of the property
  - Copy of the residential lease showing street or road address (Dated within 1 year of enrollment)
  - Copy of utility bill (electric, gas or water) showing residence address (Dated within 60 days of enrollment).  No copies or disconnected notices will be accepted.

Provide one original proof from below:
  - Copy of current driver's license showing street or road address
  - or copy of voter registration form showing street or road address
  - or copy of automobile registration showing street or road address

Military families living on base may present a letter from base housing as proof of residence. Parents must enroll their kindergarten child in the school district in which they live.

Important: WCPS assigns students to schools based on attendance zone in which they reside. Board of Education Policy 4130 does provide guidance to parents seeking to transfer their child to a school outside of their attendance zone. (All policies related to enrollment can be accessed at the following link Board of Education Policies)
The General Assembly requires a minimum of 180 instructional days for students and a minimum of 1,000 hours of instruction covering at least nine calendar months. North Carolina law requires that the first day of school must be on or after August 25th and the last day of school must be on or before June 10th. It is a local decision, not the state's, to determine the length of the school day and the school year. Instructional days may be scheduled for any day except Sunday.

To facilitate the process of transferring student organizational memberships to Wayne County Public Schools, please bring a letter of reference. The letter should include your current membership status and any other details necessary to expedite your membership transfer. 
The Student Registration form is available to download by clicking the link below. You can print the blank form and hand-print your answers or you can use Microsoft Word to complete the form using your computer. Our electronic registration form can be used to complete and submit the registration form online.
  Certified Birth Certificate

  Withdrawal form from previous school


   Evaluación de Salud para Kindergarten (Kindergarten Health Assessment)

   Encuesta de Idioma (Home Language Survey) 

   Verificatión de Residencia del Alumno (Student Residence Verification Form)


   Sports Participation (Physical) Form 

   Request for Student Reassignment Form ( Not printable - Available for pickup at the Administrative Offices on 2001 E. Royall Avenue)


   For current immunization requirements, click here .
   To enroll in school, a child needs proof of immunization against:


           HIB (Haemophilus Influenzae)


           Hepatitis B



           Whooping Cough



           Red Measles

           German Measles

   Certain exemptions are possible for extenuating health or religious reasons. All students need proof of a current physical examination when enrolling in North Carolina schools for the first time.
© 2021. Wayne County Public Schools. All Rights Reserved.
View text-based website