Southern Wayne High School English Department English II / Mr. Hemenway Introduction Letter to Parents / Guardians
English Language Arts II has three focal points: literature, writing, and research. The first point is difficult for some students as the setting and characters of the texts may seem quite alien. However, through effort put forth by both the students and the teacher, students will come to see the unity of the human experience, a valuable insight given the global community in which we live. Due to the state mandated End of Course Assessment, we will spend much of our time analyzing texts. These texts will be comprised of literature, nonfiction writing and poetry. Also stressed within the Common Core Curriculum is writing; students will learn how to compose essays through frequent planning and composition. The final point, research, is inextricably linked to good writing, thus we will focus on obtaining the best possible resources in order to make a strong argument in both writing and debating.
- Email: [email protected]
- School number: (919) 705-6060 Ext. 4289
- Planning: 1st Period
- Conference/Remediation time is Friday after school from 3:05-3:40
- 3-ring binder, paper, pens and pencils
- A = 90 – 100, B = 80 – 89, C = 70 – 79, D = 60-69, F = Below 60
- Students having more than six (6) unexcused absences for this class period will be in immediate jeopardy of not receiving credit for the course.
- Students must be present a minimum of one hour to be counted present for the class period.
- Students have five (5) student days to turn in makeup work.
Classroom Rules Snacks and drinks are not allowed in my classroom Be polite to the instructor and fellow students Arrive to class on time each day Be prepared to learn and collaborate with others on assignments A more detailed and comprehensive overview of these rules and consequences will be discussed with students when school begins